What is the second most important tool for a successful digital marketing campaign after the website? Most marketing experts will tell you that the content you put up on your website is the singular most essential factor that keeps your site visitors coming back for more.
A professionally designed website filled with mediocre content is like attending a royal dinner only to be served plain toast. Imagine how disappointed you would be if after spending your hard-earned cash on a shiny new website, you constantly recordpoor traffic. Read on for useful tips to successfully use content to increase traffic to your website.
Create Compelling Content
Compelling content is what makes readers stay, and is what will keep them returning. Catchy, attention-grabbing headlines will flop dismally without rich, relevant and compelling content to hold on to. Write more compelling content using the following tips:
• Grab and hold on to readers’ attention from the first sentence, if you can. In our world today, there are so many things vying for attention. Without a compelling start to a blog post or a sales pitch, readers will tune out and go read something else.
• Make your content easy-to-scan. If you have a lot of content to deliver, breaking theminto smaller blocks of text to make them easier to digest.
• Connect through stories. Relevant, well-structured stories have the power to connect with people and drive them on an emotional level.
Spice up Content with Photos
Spectacular, stunning photos can do wonders for your traffic. A strong title together with a well-chosen and relevant photo is a winning combo. Your website gains visual appeal, causing readers to stay on longer, and share your content as well. You don’t have to spend a dime to get great photos, sites like Unsplash and Pixabay provide free access to hundreds of stunning photos you can choose from.
Make use of Internal Links
Most websites don’t make enough use of the advantages presented by internal linking. Don’t be like them. Using internal links in your content helps your readers navigate your website and also improve the ranking of the pages you link to. This means you can link a new post to an older post on your website (as long as it is relevant) to increase traffic. Get the most out of internal linking by:
- Creating more quality content
- Using suitable anchor text
- Linking to relevant content only
Audit Content Regularly
Auditing content is a straightforward process. Done right, it can produce great results for your traffic numbers. It means going through your website and deciding what content to keep, improve, or remove. Why is this necessary? Removing irrelevant and redundant content that doesn’t match up with your message could triple your website traffic.
Some points to consider when auditing content:
- Select shorter and similar posts that can be consolidated and reworked into one big post
- Delete content you feel no longer fits your site
- Analyse the content you intend to keep. Ensure that they are relevant, linking to other relevant content, have SEO-friendly images and that the writing quality is acceptable in current terms.
The tips above will go a long way to improving your website traffic as long as you put them to use. If all else fails, you can make use of the services of expert content writers who understand the tricks to driving website traffic.